Renthub Limited is committed to protecting your information and meeting our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020 (Act). The Act sets out thirteen principles (Principles), which establish rules for the collection, storage, security, accuracy, use and disclosure of your personal information, as well as your rights to access, and correct, your personal information.
Why do we collect information about you?
We only collect information about you where we need to in order to offer our products and services. For example, this could include if you’re a landlord, if you’re applying to be a tenant, when we’re managing a tenancy or if you are applying for a job with us.
What information do we collect about you?
We only collect information about you that we need to provide our products and services.
If you are a tenant, we may need to ask for some information when you first contact us and for more information if you become a preferred applicant or if you are the selected applicant. We may also need additional information once you are a tenant. We will let you know this at the time we ask for the information. The personal information that we may collect from you may include:
- your contact and identification details, including your name, confirmation you are over 18, email address, phone number, address, ;
- your financial information, including information relating to your credit history and ability to pay rent (we won’t ask for your bank account statements);
- if you are a prospective tenant, details about the number of people who will live in the property (including tenants’ names), pets, whether you smoke (if we need it for properties where there are restrictions on smoking);
- if you are the selected applicant, details such as your date of birth, vehicle information, emergency contact details, WINZ number, details of who will be living in the property;
- your communications with us, including email and phone communications;
- any information you supply to us through our website, such as information on how you use the website and what pages you view, or information you input into the website;
- where you are a landlord, account and payment information, maintenance request information;
- any information you supply to us or authorise us to obtain in the course of using our products or services or applying for a job with us.
We will use this information only for the purposes that you have authorised.
Please be aware that when transmitting information over the internet (including via email), you should remember that the internet is not a secure environment, and such information is susceptible to loss, interception or alteration while in transit. We accept no responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
How do we use your information?
We may use your personal information:
- to provide our products and services to you;
- to send you marketing information about products or services we think may appeal to you – you may unsubscribe to any email marketing message at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions contained in the message;
- to help us develop, market, improve, manage, administer and facilitate our services and operations and those of our business partners;
- where you are a tenant, for tenancy applications that you wish to apply for;
- where you are a landlord, for consideration and acquiring of tenancy applications;
- where you are a landlord, for the purposes of recovery or remedying tenancy defaults provided, however, we will not directly disclose or use information in a tenant’s profile that they do not otherwise disclose;
- where you use our consultancy services, for training, liability and quality assurance purposes;
- where you are a tenant, to enable us to assist in the transfer of utilities between houses and/or moving house as required by you;
- where you use our services relating to maintenance, any information provided in respect of that maintenance;
- for internal purposes (such as risk management, staff training and billing).
How do we store your information?
We will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that all personal information is securely protected against loss, unauthorised access and other misuse. We have a range of physical and technology policies in place to provide a robust security environment. We ensure the ongoing adequacy of these measures by regularly reviewing them.
Who do we disclose your information to?
Where you are a tenant, your tenant profile is kept private, and your profile can only be seen by you and us. The data is only disclosed by us if you send it to a property manager or landlord using our services or Web Services. We will ensure there are reasonable safeguards in place to prevent loss, misuse or disclosure of your personal information.
We will disclose your information:
- where you have authorised us to do so;
- to our third-party service providers that help us provide our products and services;
- where we are required to or permitted to do so under law, for example, to government, regulatory or law enforcement bodies or to the Privacy Commissioner;
- to third parties for the purpose of any sale, transfer or assignment of any part of our business or our entire business;
- where disclosure is required for safety and security and information assurance purposes;
- where disclosure was the purpose of collecting the information.
- Where disclosure is required for the purpose of debt collection
If we need to store or send your information outside of New Zealand, we will ensure that your information is protected in a way that, overall, provides comparable safeguards to those under the Privacy Act 2020.
How to request access or make a correction to your information
You have the right to access and correct any personal information that we hold, subject to some exceptions under the Privacy Act 2020. If you would like to access or correct your information, please let us know by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This document was last updated on 10 March 2022.